We weren’t planning on giving you winter insurance tips this early (is it still fall?). But then we woke up to a winter wonderland in Paducah, Kentucky this morning. A little snow may not prevent you from getting out but it can be hazardous if we don’t pay attention to the roads. Driving like you are taking your grandmother to church with a platter of biscuits and two gallons of sweet tea in the car is a good start. Taking a few extra precautions might make you even more likely to arrive at your destination safely.
When driving in snowy conditions you should follow the following tips to avoid skidding and accidents.
- Accelerate and Decelerate slowly
- Increase your following distance
- Avoid stopping if you don’t have to
- Do not slam on your brakes suddenly
- Do not stop on a hill or power up a hill
- Allow extra travel time
- Make sure you have an ice scraper, gloves and other winter supplies in your vehicle
- Roads freeze over quicker on bridges and over passes so be especially cautious
We are enjoying the beautiful view outside of the Bradshaw & Weil Inc insurance office this morning. Wintry weather makes a beautiful backdrop. But the danger it can bring is of utmost importance to us. Stay safe as you travel this winter!