Get started early to get your boat ready for summer
Few things are better than boating season for those that love the water. Summer just wouldn’t be summer without spending those long, hot days on Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley. Cooling off with a lazy dip in the water sounds delightful in the heat of the day. Dropping a line in hopes of catching a “big one” for a yummy fish-fry in the evening. Or maybe you would rather have an action-packed day of waterskiing and tubing.
Whatever your pleasure, boating is not without its share of pre-summer preparation. If you’re not on the ball early, it’s easy to find yourself midway through July still on dry land. Living in a lake area means we have a large population of seasoned boaters, but we also have a substantial number of joy riders that are only able to get out on the water once or twice a year. We’ve created this quick checklist to get you out on the water early and enjoying those sunny summer days safely.
At Bradshaw & Weil, Inc. we want to ensure you’re first in line at the boat launch at the first sign of the season change, so here are a few tips for being ahead of the game.
Boating Pre-Season Checklist
- Tune it up. It’s always a good idea to have your boat winterized at the end of each season, but whether you did or didn’t get it done last year, make sure to get a full tune-up before you hit the lake this summer.
- Charge it. Make sure your battery is fully charged.
- Clear it out. If there’s a chance any bit of gas from last season is still in your tank, fill it up with fresh gas as well as a stabilizer; this will prevent buildup in the gas lines and injection system.
- Give it a test. Before you get the boat all the way into the water and off the trailer, lower your motor into the water and make sure it will turn over.
- Plug it up. Ensure your drain plug is in and the bilge pump is functioning properly.
- Double- and triple-check. The last thing you want is to be turned away at the ramp for not having an updated registration or missing your ski flag or life vests. Double check that your documents are updated and that your boat is fully stocked with everything you need.
Now, you have your Saturday To Do List to get you prepped and ready for Monday! We at Bradshaw & Weil, Inc. wish you a fun-filled and safe boating season!